Monday, April 4, 2011

Kickstart

To begin, I'll just comment on a Thomson Reuters article I read this morning at my desk. Apparently Swedish automaker Saab has been in some big trouble recently... That's concerning because they make a decent vehicle. A good friend of mine is on her second or third Saab 9-3 and has always raved about the performance and handling. The features have always been ahead of their time as well. To be honest, they are one of the best deals out there, especially for slightly used models. The good news is that Russian venture capitalists are coming to the rescue to help parent company Spyker (maker of exotic sports cars that bought Saab from GM amidst the 2008-2009 financial crisis) with a Saab turnaround. Would we prefer Italian, French, British, or German intervention instead? Most likely, but saving a good brand is all that matters at the moment. The article also mentioned how next year will bring the broadest variety of Saab models ever, which is exciting!
In other news, the Indy Racing League has begun its 2011 season with last week's St. Petersburg, FL race. Dario Franchitti got the first victory of the season... Target-Chip Ganassi Racing is off to a great start for another promising season. Any real franchise challengers out there? I also read an excellent research report today on historical and projected Latin American stabilization. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but Latin America is far underrated in comparison to the typical emerging markets. Think about the virtual uniformity of language (neglecting dialectal differences, of course), the work ethic, and pure natural resources even without taking oil and coal into consideration! There are some very, very smart people down there coming up with some brilliant plans for the future, and I'm totally on board. Just look at Carlos Slim, a Mexican business tycoon and now the world's richest man by far! I wonder how many of you out there share my thoughts, and how many would contest that LatAm is definitely NOT the place to be?
Lastly but certainly not least, I recently asked the woman of my dreams to marry me! We are planning our honeymoon for the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia. Anybody been there, and if so, any tips for your fellow travelers? Should we book through an agency due to the nature of the trip, or should we still book on our own like normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment